Vuka! Advocacy and Network Engagement Officer
CIVICUS exists to defend people power. As a growing global alliance of over 10000 members in 175 countries, we work together to monitor violations of basic civic freedoms, call out the perpetrators of violations and strengthen the power of people to organise by supporting a more accountable, effective and innovative civil society. We strive to promote excluded voices, especially from the Global South.
About the Role
The Advocacy and Network Engagement Officer will provide support for the effective implementation of the Vuka! Coalition for Civic Action. You will help with a range of advocacy, research, campaigning, networking, membership and administrative tasks within the Vuka! Secretariat, support and engage Vuka’s membership and Steering Group and provide support for the implementation of Vuka! activities.
The Officer will help maintain and build relationships with Vuka! participating organizations and partners.
The Officer will provide substantive support to the Secretariat Coordinator and Steering Group to help ensure the effective realization of the Coalition’s activities and workstream.
The Officer will help with administrative responsibilities within the Vuka! Secretariat, Steering Group, Action Teams and Membership.
- Degree in International Relations, Development Studies, Human Rights, Politics, Arts or equivalent qualification;
- At least 3 years minimum experience in related field, and 2 years in a similar role inclusive of volunteer work;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Understanding of networks and coalition-building in civil society and across sector;
- In depth understanding of off and online public engagement campaigning tactics, including for grassroots mobilization;
- Be familiar with civil society, development and human rights issues and understand the challenges faced by marginalized citizens and organizations, especially those in the Global South;
- Commitment to CIVICUS’ vision, mission, values and ways of working.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications (written and verbal) skills;
- Excellent IT skills, including experience with MS Office and Human Resource Information Systems.
- Ability to speak, read, write fluently and to a high standard in Spanish.
- Experience working with civil society groups in Latin America.
- Experience working with land, environmental and or climate defenders.
Please click here for a full Job Description
How to Apply
Your application should comprise of
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions, responsibilities held, and relevant achievements
- A covering note of not more than 1 page outlining your motivation for applying for the role.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by 24 June 2021 to schedule interviews.
Due to the high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.