How do we choose the most suitable M&E tools and approaches based on the initiative purpose, capacity and plans?
Defining a project accurately is critical to its success. Sometimes this is not an easy task, particularly at the beginning of any project: Small deviations at the start can have exponential negative effects later on. A Project Canvas is a visual tool of project management. It helps to design new or redesign existing projects. The tool is especially useful for interdisciplinary groups who want to gain a common understanding before or during a project.
The Project Canvas presented on this site is structured along the logic of this Developmental Evaluation approach, i.e. Plan – Design – Measure – Implement – Report and Reflect – Communicate.
So just follow these steps and questions in a participatory process with your team and stakeholders:
- Plan – What is the stage and capacity of the project to implement the DEF?
- Design – What does the project intend to change which will be measured by the DEF?
- Measure – What indicators can be used to measure what has changed and how has it changed?
- Implement – What tools and process do we need to regularly measure the change?
- Report & Reflect – How will you document the changes and lessons?
- Communicate – What key messages are important to share? How will you share the key messages?
Test and see whether the Project Canvas tool works for you!