Movement: #MeToo Tunisia
Organisation: Mawjoudin We Exist and Tunisian Association of Democratic Women
Mawjoudin (we exist) is a tunisian youth-led association that fights for equality and rights of LGBTQI++ people. Why Mawjoudin? Mawjoudin, because in Tunisia there is still a law that criminalizes a consenting relation between two adults of the same sex. Mawjoudin, because being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer or intersex in Tunisia in intolerable. Mawjoudin, because in Tunisia having sex with a person of the same sex is punishable by 3 years of prison. Mawjoudin, because homosexuality is condemned in a largely homophobic society. This homophobia is nourished by the prejudices and social standards which can lead to the persecution of the LGBTQI++ persons. What are our objectives?
- To create a space to offer psycho-social support for victims of homophobia and violence
- To offer a place to share experiences among members of the community
- To offer trainings for our members and to make them aware of their rights
- Advocacy to abolish the article 230
- Documentation and denunciation of violations of LGBTQI++ rights