The 2018 High Level Political Forum will be held at UN headquarters in New York from Monday 9 to Wednesday 18 July.
At the annual forum, governments, civil society and business, review progress towards achieving the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
UN member states self-report their progress towards the goals by presenting a report known as a Voluntary National Review (VNR). In 2018, 47 countries will present their Voluntary National Reviews, the highest number so far. The goals that will get particular attention from 47 countries* participating in the review, include:
- Goal 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development. This goal is considered each year.
CIVICUS' Activities at the HLPF
CIVICUS is hosting a complete programme of events, together with a number of civil society partners and coalitions:
- 10 July / 09:00-12:00 / UN Church Center / Workshop on Monitoring Sustainable Development, Claiming rights: Strategies & tools for civil society / hosted by Action for Sustainable Development, CIVICUS, CESR and UN OHCHR
- 12 July / 18:00 to 20:00 / UN Church Center / Launch of ‘Faces of Inequality' campaign / hosted by GCAP
- 13 July /12:30-14:30 / AARP office / Leave No Woman Behind and SDG 6 / hosted by Action for Sustainable Development, GCAP, Gray Panthers, IFP, Water Aid and others
- 13 July / 15:00-17:00 / UNDP Office, 1 UN Plaza / CSO participation in the Voluntary National Review process / hosted by ADA, IFP, TAP and others
- 13 July / 16:00-18:00 / 335 E. 45th St, Mission of Republic of Korea to the UN / Role of Overseas Development Aid for Sustaining Peace and SDGs / hosted by KCOC, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of RoK, KOICA, ADA, UNDP, in partnership with CIVICUS
- 14 - 15 July / 09:00-15:00 / UN Church Center / Action4SD Weekend Workshop: Resilient Societies, Resilient People / featuring Mary Robinson and many colleagues from the UN Major Groups and other Stakeholders
- 16 July / 08:30-10:00 / UN Church Center / Side Event on Inclusive VNR Process with the Governments of Switzerland, Lebanon and Mexico / hosted by Action for Sustainable Development, CCIC, IFP and others
- 16 July / 11:00-13:00 / UN Church Center / Side Event on Implementing the SDGs in Latin America – the challenges facing civil society / hosted by IFP, Mesa de Articulacion and others
See the full calendar of civil society events and resources
*Full list of countries under review at this year’s High Level Political Forum:
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Benin, Bhutan, Cabo Verde, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Greece, Guinea, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR), Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Namibia, Niger, Paraguay, Poland, Qatar, Republic of the Congo, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, State of Palestine, Sudan, Switzerland, Togo, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uruguay, and Vietnam