Innovation Program Intern
CIVICUS is looking for an innovative, self-starter to join our globally-focused Innovation team. The intern will gain knowledge of socio-political, organizational change, tech and data aspects of CIVICUS’ work with civil society around the world, particularly in the Global South.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic and skilled person to:
- Pro-actively assist with research, drafting of project papers and implementing regional activities.
- Support all aspects of programmatic, technical, and administrative functions of the Innovation department by providing substantive, organizational and logistical assistance to the staff/consultants in line with CIVICUS’ overall mission across various programs
Who you are
An entrepreneur, you think outside of the box, fast learner person, you thrive on new ideas. Civil Society and its topics are a burning need for you, your main topic of discussion. You stand up for others and promote them where you can, putting their voice above yours. You are excited by innovation and especially new technology or new ways of working that enables efficiency in processes, yet equally love research and gaining in depth insight. You motivate and drive but are happy to share or hand over the limelight.
Who we are
CIVICUS is global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do. We share links to provocative articles and talk about what they mean to us, the highlight of a week is having an impassioned conversation with an activist or social change group about what’s happing in the world around us.
- We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
- We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
- We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
- We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
- Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
- Be part of a global, highly effective team, who is driven by civil society.
- Grow, be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever changing world.
- Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
Required qualifications and competencies:
- Degree in the fields related to political science, governance, developmental studies, social sciences, public administration.
- Strong interest in working in the field of civil society.
- Available to work in Montreal, Johannesburg, London and/or in commuting distance of another CIVICUS base of operation.
- Prior internship in nonprofit organizations and/or international settings beneficial but not required.
- Fluent in English.
- Proficiency in other languages, particularly UN languages helpful.
- Internship -- knowledge and understanding of civil societies
- Good interpersonal/networking skills.
- Conscientious self-starter.
- Planning and time management skills.
- Deadline driven, with ability to multi-task.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Creative thinking.
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THIS ROLE:
- Organisational and Business Process Support (60%)
- provide administrative support, to organisational clusters and project teams in Innovation Stream
- Serve as liaison to Operations and Finance teams on behalf Innovation stream clusters and project teams
- Provide documentation, meeting secretarial, and archival support
- Serve as key interlocutor with internal and external partners, including Mobilisation Lab, and others on administrative and workflow processes
- Support partnership management and initial engagements with new leads
- Provide financial processing and management support for all Innovation Stream activities
- Help in creating efficiencies and automation in all administrative work flows
- Logistics (20%)
- Support event coordination and convening opportunities that engage our CIVICUS members
- Assist with booking of venues, hotels
- Assist with drawing up of correspondence
- Prepare lists of attendees, speakers, etc.
- Liaise with the South Africa Head Office for travel bookings
- Follow up on all travel bookings
- Liaise with team members for internal team travel
- Assist with VISA applications
- Follow up on correct invoicing
- Programmatic Support (20%)
- Conduct background research for external products
- Provide shadow writing assistance on blogs, journal articles etc.
- Identify strategic convening opportunities to engage the CIVICUS alliance
- Identify potential partners, sponsors, funders for CIVICUS events;
Any other reasonable tasks as requested by Management from time to time.
Location: Montreal, Johannesburg, and/or London
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: 6 months
Stipend: US$ 1 200 monthly
To apply, please submit :
- A motivational letter;
- A detailed CV;
- Contact details of three current references;
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.