This website, civicus.org (along with all translated versions of which hereafter referred to as the “Site”) is operated by CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation (“We” or “Us” or "CIVICUS").
CIVICUS is committed to protecting your privacy online.
Your Personal Information
In addition to the information you provide us, we collect certain additional information to help us improve our interactions with you and to help use better serve you. We collect and use the following information:
· Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website or participating online in our campaigns. This includes information provided at the time of registering as a member, signing petitions, we may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website
· Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us
· Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes or to help direct our campaigns and activities, although you do not have to respond to them
· Details of transactions you carry out through our Website if you are one of our members who generously support CIVICUS financially
· Certain information about usage of the CIVICUS website, described below in the section on Data Tracking
· Where from the world you hail and whether you tell others about CIVICUS using the social sharing buttons generously
· We do not share the information you’ve given us with unaffiliated groups without your explicit permission. We may share some of your personal information with certain affiliated groups. For example: Affiliated Third Parties and contractors – such as our database administrators – for the sole purpose of helping us do our work. These groups do not share your personal information or use it for any purpose other than as instructed by us. Third Party Administrators, such as organizations we engage to facilitate large distribution of messages. The content of these emails will be from CIVICUS and these third parties do not have direct access to your personally identifiable information
Emails and other forms of communications
CIVICUS will send you updates by e-mail as well as newsletters that you may sign up for or that are part of our membership benefit pack. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by contacting with the subject heading “unsubscribe” or simply click the unsubscribe text at the bottom of each correspondence we send you.
Financial transactions on our website
If you choose to make a donation to CIVICUS or pay your membership dues online using our secure payment processor, your credit/debit card information will be used only for this transaction through our secure online payment system. We do not retain credit/debit card information.
When you give CIVICUS personal information, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, CIVICUS cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
URLs contained in emails may contain an ID that enables us to correctly identify the person who takes an action using a web page. We may occasionally present a shortened URL that references a longer URL which contains an id—we do this to simplify the display, to prevent links from becoming broken when copied, and to ensure compatibility with email programs which do not handle long URLs properly. When a shortened URL is displayed in an email, you will see the full URL in the browser's address bar when you access the page.