CIVICUS is looking for an ICSW 2017 Coordinator, who is able to lead the planning and execution of the International Civil Society Week 2017 and the CIVICUS World Assembly in Suva, Fiji, planned for the 4-9th of December 2017.
We are looking for an extremely enthusiastic and skilled person to:
• Provide financial, team and project management
• Convene a diverse, global event with key partners
• Develop an exciting and relevant programme of events
• Work in partnership with our co-host to deliver a world class event
Who you are
You are an energetic event planner who thrives on making an event a success, getting the right people in the room, facilitating meaningful connections and delivering programme content that matters. You understand and have considerable global civil society experience and knowledge of civil society trends. You are a self-starter, who thrives under tight deadlines and enjoys a fast pace.
Who we are
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world. We’re passionate about what we do.
• We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly - that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
• We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
• We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
• We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
• Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
• Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
• Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
• Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Degree in International Relations, Development Studies, Non-profit Management or equivalent;
• Project and/or event management experience;
• Experience working in a multi-cultural team;
• 4-years minimum experience in an NGO environment;
• Knowledge of global/regional dynamics and civil society issues, with a focus on Asia Pacific;
• Fluent in English and another UN language (preferably Spanish and/or French);
• Ability to produce high-quality written materials in English;
• Understanding of membership and networking principles;
• Computer literacy, including database management;
• Good interpersonal/networking skills;
• Planning and time management skills; and
• Deadline driven, with the ability to multi-task.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Some line management and budgeting responsibility
Main activities of the role
• Serve as the ICSW 2017 focal point, ensuring a smooth, effective and efficient realisation of the event;
• Manage ICSW 2017 team and budget;
• Lead engagement with PIANGO, monitoring the budget and performance against key deliverables, and providing support as required;
• Provide cross-team coordination for CIVICUS engagement in ICSW 2017 and the World Assembly;
• Oversee partner selection and engagement, in accordance with diversity goals and partnership principles;
• Lead convening and coordination of the ICSW 2017 Programme Committee;
• Support programme development in coordination with CIVICUS and PIANGO leadership, ensuring the ICSW 2017 theme is mainstreamed through event;
• Develop fundraising materials and support outreach and donor engagement, including timely reporting;
• Support the development of a communication strategy in conjunction with the CIVICUS Communication Team, and ensure timely execution; and
• Oversee post-ICSW 2017 activities, including Monitoring and Evaluation, reports, finance, and any follow-up logistics.
Location: Flexible (at any CIVICUS hub/office), with a strong preference for Johannesburg, South Africa
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: US$36,000 per annum (negotiable)
Duration: 1 year contract
To apply, please submit:
· A motivational letter;
· A detailed CV;
Deadline for submission of applications: 23rd March 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.