The Civil Society Watch (CSW) project advocates for the protection and expansion of space for civil society to operate freely with a focus on threats to civil society at the local level. CSW aims to lead and support timely, principled and effective responses to situations that threaten the freedoms of expression, association and assembly.
Civil society across the world is continuously facing real threats ranging from attacks on human rights defenders to changes in legislation. CSW seeks to protect and strengthen civil society by working toward four core objectives:
- Expand and strengthen strategic partnerships for sustained advocacy with local civil society
- Build Civil Society Watch Online to be a platform for local and international civil society to monitor threats, share information, and take action
- Lead and support joint advocacy initiatives to increase local impact
- Monitor and analyze information about civil society existence, expression and engagement in order to identify regional and global trends
CSW Online is the project’s principle platform for monitoring threats to civil society around the world and coordinating joint action with local activists. It arises from the previous Early Warning System. Visit CSW Online to stay informed and find out how you can take action.
Civil Society Behind Bars campaign is a joint initiative with local civil society partners to advocates for the release of imprisoned civil society activist. You can help, take action today.
- You can also sign-up to the CSW Monthly Bulletin
- Find resources for protecting the rights of civil society (including the Compendium of International Legal Instruments and Other Intergovernmental Commitments Concerning Core Civil Society Rights).